Overwatch, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine and Pokémon Go have won big at this year’s Golden Joysticks.
The 34th annual Golden Joystick Awards was held today at the indigO2 at London’s O2 Arena, with all the winners voted for by the gamers themselves.
The winner of the coveted Game of the Year Award may have gone to Dark Souls 3, but that didn’t stop Blizzard’s Overwatch receiving the most awards this year.
It picked up the gongs for Best Original Game, Best Multiplayer Game, PC Game of the Year, Competitive Game of the Year and Best Gaming Moment for its unique Play of the Game feature.
Yes, that’s five, FIVE awards in one fell swoop!
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine also took home a lot of awards. It won three in total for Best Storytelling, Best Visual Design, and Doug Cockle – voice of hero Geralt – won Best Gaming Performance.
Developer CD Projekt Red, also won Studio of the Year. So technically, even though The Witcher 3 came out in 2015, it still won four awards this year.
And unsurprisingly, Pokémon Go was a big hit too, scooping up awards for Innovation of the Year and Best Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year in association with us guys
Here’s the full list of Golden Joystick Award winners for 2016:
- Best Original Game in association with The Sun – Overwatch
- Best Storytelling – The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
- Best Visual Design – The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
- Best Audio in association with DTS – Fallout 4
- Best Indie Game in association with Kotaku UK – Firewatch
- Gaming Personality of the Year in association with Guiness World Records – Sean Plott (Day (9))
- Best Multiplayer Game in association with PC Gamer Weekender – Overwatch
- Competitive Play of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro – Coldzera’s jumping AWP quad kill at MLG Columbus
- Best Gaming Moment in association with Absolute Radio – Play of the game in Overwatch
- YouTube – Upcoming Personality of the Year – Jesse Cox
- Studio of the Year in association with Edge – CD Projekt Red
- Innovation of the Year – Pokémon GO
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Eiji Aonuma
- Best Gaming Platform – SteamBest Gaming Performance – Doug Cockle
- Competitive Game of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro – Overwatch
- Nintendo Game of the Year in association with Gamesmaster – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Playstation Game of the Year in association with OPM – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Xbox Game of the Year in association with OXM – Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year in association with Digital Spy – Pokémon GO
- Breakthrough Award – Eric Barone – Stardew Valley
- Hall of Fame – Lara Croft
- Critics Choice Award – Titanfall 2
- Most Wanted Game in association with Green Man Gaming – Mass Effect Andromeda
- Ultimate Game of the Year in association with GamesRadar+ – Dark Souls 3
Apple’s FoundationDB open sources the database layer behind CloudKitJanuary 25, 2019